Once upon a time i had just that, time. Well I suppose I didn't have any more time that I have now, there are always only 24 hours in a day. I just look back at my life before I had kids, and think of all the things I did and all the things I could have or should have done. It's actually hard to remember my life without kids sometimes!
Before I had kids I didn't know how to knit or crochet. I didn't spend nearly as much time on the computer as I do now ..... shame on me for that. Pintrest has sadly roped me in! Some great things about pintrest for sure, but I do waste an awful lot of time organizing and finding new things to pin.
So what did I do with my time before kids?
I listened to a lot of music. I loved (okay, still love) B Movie soundtracks, old punk and hardcore stuff and some metal too. I don't listen to music nearly as much now, as the kids make enough noise as it is! I will play a record here and there, but I am usually asked to turn it off, change the song, change the record and/or turn it up, WAY up. We don't listen to a ton of kids music, though one album that's been getting a lot of play around here is the Johnny Cash Children's Album. Although not all the songs are PC (a song about a boy having to shoot his own dying dog?!) it's great music and the stories are, of course, fabulous!
So what else did I do?
I spent a lot of time cooking and baking. I once spent an entire day making a mexican feast ...... really and entire day! There were several sauces, and side dishes along with slow cooked meat and beans ....... though I don't remember what I made for dessert. I'd love to put a bit more effort into the things we eat, but it is rather deflating when one child in particular only eats one out of every five dinners prepared. I do a lot more muffin baking than I used to. No more big batches of chocolate cupcakes with wee ones around. I do a lot of slow cooker meals, and quick stovetop meals involving marinated meat or tofu. Things are good, fresh, and always homemade, just not as much slow food as I'd like!
Anything else?
Oh yes, me! I'd spend a ton of time on my hair, outfits and make up. Being in the beauty industry it just kind of comes with the territory. I would curl, fluff, pin, tuck, swoop my hair. Or in those shorter hair days, spike ..... imagine?! SPIKE! haha! The back of my head looked like a ducks ass! (I'll have to find photos now I suppose) My make up was fairly simple as it is now. Though I had several different shades of wild eyeshadows and a plethora of false eyelashes. I still love my false eyelashes as I don't have to do much as far as eye make up after i get those suckers glued on. I do, however, think that showing up at my son's school to drop him off for preschool wearing false eye lashes might be a tad strange! I already get strange looks from the way that I dress.
That is one thing that I am slowly regaining in my life. Clothes and nice ones at that! I won't be caught dead in lycra or jogging pants (unless actually jogging of course, or maybe camping) so I wear a lot of tights and dresses. I do wear heels most of the time, sometimes ridiculous ones ( i do need to share my growing shoe collection with you!) and I am often over dressed than most people who hang out on the playground. It used to be standard practice for women and men to look their best when leaving the house (or at least make some effort). When did pj's and sloppy gym wear become acceptable to step outside in?! Even ugly girls looked prettier in the 50's and 60's because they at least tried to look good! Okay there you go ... my little rant is over.
I wouldn't change a thing about my life now. I do many more amazing and rewarding things now that i've ever done in my life! Before kids, my life seems quite shallow and boring looking back .... gosh I love my kids and who they've made me!
No comments:
Post a Comment