Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On the Up and Up





Photos from yesterday!

Yesterday was a fantastic day and today was quite fantastic as well. Since starting our new parenting approach things have been calmer and we've seen far less violence, and meltdowns from Jackson. Of course there was that one day at the museum (post here) that has been a hot topic! Even that, though was far less dramatic than it would have been with our "time-out" and "do what I say" style of parenting.

I think one of the hardest things this week (yes it's been a week since we started using parenting ideals from Unconditional Parenting!) is not rewarding Jack. We still praise him if he's accomplished something we're proud of him for, such as building a space ship from lego, or learning to zip up his own coat, but we're not praising him when he's being good to his brother, or if he gets out the door in a timely fashion. Also there are no more bribes ........ that one has been hard for little Jack.

Cookies and ice cream were a hot commodity around here. I'd give him one for coming inside, when I was sick of playing outside, or give him a little scoop of ice cream after a good trip to the grocery store. Then we realized that he's not a dog. He still gets some sweets, just not when he is expecting them.

We are still wrapping our heads around Unconditional Parenting and hope to learn more once I get the book. So far though, things have gotten tremendously better. There is a rising level of respect for everyone one in the house. And Jack is learning how to go about things, such as keep Dylan away from Jack's toys, in a non-violent, caring way. Yeah, things are going well. Dylan is even sleeping a bit better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...