It's hard with our new parenting method. We don't fully understand how to go about things. Reasoning can only get you so far and it's pretty hard to reason with a three year old in "the moment". I know this approach will get easier and when we combine it with our playful parenting approach, things go pretty well!
Anyways we all ended up in the museum restaurant and poor Jack, now over tired and overly hungry had a meltdown about sharing his banana bread with Dylan. Jack even went as far as to attempt to hit Dylan. An older woman came over and told Jackson that he can't go around hitting people and yelling and that he should listen to his mother.
I didn't totally mind, the woman was fairly nice about it all, but i have never had someone interfere with my parenting before. It's strange. I was rather calm and composed about the whole thing, I tend not to get too riled up when Jack starts expressing his anger or frustration. So I guess my big question is why this woman thought I needed her to step in and talk to Jack.
Anyways I am tired and we've had a rather rough evening ...... Dylan is refusing to go to bed before 10pm these past couple nights! I have new photos, but forgot to download them .... another day!
My two bits worth: I think that Jack needs to go to playschool so that he can learn to socialize and behave appropriately by watching the other kids and having the influence of other adults. It sounds like you and the children have a far too isolated, insulated environment.
ReplyDeleteLindaMOM
yeah for the past two or three weeks we've been hauled up at home due to our colds. normally we're at a couple of play groups a week as well as our messy monsters art club. jack also has his music class once a week that is just him going without me. we do have him on the waitlist for a few preschools, but the likely hood of him going this sept. is pretty slim.
ReplyDeleteAre there no community playschools? Is it a special type of school you want him in?
ReplyDeletethey are community playschool, co-op. not specialized. i have him on waitlist for a few different ones in our area ... sorry so short typing with one hand, baby in other
ReplyDeleteI think my two bits agree with Linda's two bits - I think it's great that you guys are trying to give Jackson more decision making authority, but it sounds like he's totally running the show right now. If he goes to regular school, he's going to need to deal with the structure of having to do certain things at certain times without his input being considered and without a fuss. There are some parts of reality that are structured for a reason, whether we like it or not. :)
ReplyDeleteoh make no mistake! we are still structured. we just do things in a way that make it easier for jack to accept! we play games to get out the door, or sing our way to bedtime. the best is when cory gets to be one of the crazy characters he's created for certain times, such as teeth brushing and what not.
ReplyDeletejack is really coming around and starting to understand how to be gentle with his brother and read his brothers cues! it's quite fantastic to watch!
my mistake at the museum was that both kids were over tired and over hungry! we all get a little grumpy when that is the case! anyways, we're good, the kids are good and everything is working out rather well!
i am looking forward to seeing how much more jackson grows! we are raising children who think for themselves instead of follow what others say.
It sounds like a good goal, and I hope it works out for you guys. It doesn't sound easy, but hopefully your efforts will pay off as the boys get older :)
ReplyDelete