Friday, January 20, 2012

Bread Bread Bread!

I finally got around to trying my hand at making bread and i have to say I am quite pleased with the results.    I am using a quick, no knead recipe that has to rise for 12 hours in a warm spot.  For the past two nights before bed i mix up the dough and pop it in the mechanical closet ..... along with the wet mitts from the day.  The mechanical closet isn't pretty but it's the coziest place in the house.

I have had success with bread making before, using the book, Artisan Bread in just 5 minutes a Day, but since returning the book to the library I have not baked bread.  I have been replacing a bunch of books,  and it's on the list of books to get, so hopefully there will be many more days of bread making in the near future.

The thing I like most about the current recipe that I am using is that I can bake it in a pot .... yes a pot, it's perfect!  And the pot comes out of the oven completely clean!  Hardly any dishes is always a good thing.  So onto the photos, and the recipe:






The Recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour (i use 1 cup whole wheat and the rest white)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup water

Mis all ingredients together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 12 hours.  Next, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pull the edges down, turning a 1/4 turn as you go, until it forms a nice smooth ball, with the edges at the bottom.

Cover and let rise for 2 hours in a warm spot.  Preheat the oven to 425 (or 450 depending on your oven).  Right away put in a 5 quart pot, that can be in the oven at that temperature.  Let pot heat up for 1/2 an hour, then line with parchment paper and polp your dough in.  Cover with the lid and let bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove from the pot and let cool.

I think mine turned out a bit flat the first time, so tonight's bread will hopefully be a bit higher ... i added a tad more yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...