Saturday, April 2, 2011

Scrumptious Saturday: Mexican Beans

We eat a lot of mexican food ..... sometimes two times a week!  We eat meat, but I think my favorite filling is beans.  It's funny because I never ate beans when i was vegetarian for all those years.  I don't remember what started me on beans, but I've never looked back!

Over the years I've perfected my mexican bean recipe and I'd like to share it with you.  I don't have a photo, but trust me they're great!

Mexican Beans

1 can aduki or black beans
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, diced
fresh chili (jalepeno or something similar), diced
1 cup vegetable, beef or chicken broth
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
4 tbsp salsa (i recommend Herdez as it's not sweet)
1 bay leaf
fresh cilantro
salt

Place oil, butter, garlic and onion (this prevents the garlic from burning) in a medium saucepan.  Once the garlic and onions are softened, add the rest of the ingredients, except cilantro and salt, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until most liquid has evaporated.  Stir in some fresh cilantro, the juice from 1/2 a lime and salt to taste.  Sometimes a stir in a little sour cream near the end!



1 comment:

  1. I might have to try these because they sound tasty. I eat a lot of Mexican too and I write up the recipes for my own little site when I can, and I've gotta say from one writer to another here, I like your short, concise recipe style! I might have to borrow it for my own recipe writing!

    Anyway, thanks for sharing the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...