Saturday, March 26, 2011

Scrumptious Saturday: Sesame Sauce

We love all different kinds of food, and one of our favorites is Japanese food.  There is a restaurant that we go to more often than we should and it's mostly because of the AMAZING Sesame Sauce they have for the steak and rice.  Well, I recently found out that my mother happens to have a recipe that makes an identical sauce, but have never tried it.  SO she emailed it to me and I've used it several times!  I've had to tweak it a bit so I will give you the original recipe as well as my "improved" recipe.  THis sauce is to die for, you MUST try it!



Original Sesame Sauce Recipe

1/3 cup white sesame seeds
2 tsp english mustard powder
2/3 cup japanese soy sauce
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion

Toast sesame seeds.  Prepare mustard according to the instructions on the box.  Let stand 10 minutes.  Mix mustard, soy sauce and vegetable oil in a blender.  Add garlic, onoin and sesame seeds and blend until smooth and creamy.

I found the above recipe way too onion and garlic-y.  Also it was a bit too salty.  I could never get a good, smooth consistancy using toasted sesame seeds either ... so here's what I do now:

Tanya's Sesame Sauce Recipe

1/4 cup tahini paste (toasted sesame butter)
1 tsp english mustard powder
1/4 cup light salt soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 a clove of garlic, minced
two thin slices of onion, finely chopped

Prepare mustard according to the instructions on the box and let stand 10 minutes.  Add all other ingredients together in a blender and mix.  Add mustard and blend until smooth and creamy.  You can always ad a bit more of anything you feel it needs more of.  Sometimes I want it a bit thicker so I'll add a bit more tahini paste, or more garlic so it's got a bit more of a bite to it!


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...