Friday, August 13, 2010

Bread Love

I have been trying for ages now to make bread. I have given up on bread loaves and found a happy place in flat breads. I found an AMAZING recipe for naan bread and use it for everything. I use it instead of pita, sandwich bread, pizza dough (best ever!) and just for ripping into on it's own.

You just can't beat warm, fresh bread, flat or otherwise!

Recipe:

2 cups bread flour (or at least unbleached all purpose)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
3/4 cup plain yogurt at room temperature
1 Tbsp of water as needed to get right consistency

Mix all dry ingredients together, then add oil and yogurt. Mix together with hands and add water as needed to get a nice firm dough. Not too sticky, but held together well. Coat with oil and let rise for 20 minutes or so.

Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness or thinner and place on an oiled pan. Back at 450 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Sometimes i cook it a little less for the extra doughiness!

When making it for pizza dough I bake it for three minutes without toppings, then add the toppings. I add a thin layer of sauce, toppings and cheese so as not to take away from the fabulous texture of the bread. I then bake it for another 3 to 6 minutes depending on toppings, or until cheese melts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...