I cook. I love it. Cooking is my one guaranteed break from my hectic day. I spend a minute in the cupboards and fridge, then scour online for inspiration. It's rare that I follow a recipe. Usually I just look at the photos and read the ingredients. I've been cooking (well) long enough to know how to wing it.
Yesterday we received our first delivery (by bicycle!) of organic produce, from Share Organics. I am hoping to sign up for this service twice a month. Anyways, chard and yams were in the box and on the menu for tonight. I love combining color to create a meal! Anyways I found some great recipes, then came up with tonight's dinner as follows:
Ingredients:
two or three yams, peeled
olive oil
a few chard leaves
garlic clove
one very small red onion
cumin
chili powder
black beans
corn tortillas
sour cream (optional)
Cut up yams into 1/2" chunks. Spread on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, stir around and bake for another 15 minutes or until they are roasted.
Meanwhile separate chard leaves from stems, rinse, dry and chop. Mince one garlic clove and dice red onion. Sauté onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add chard and a few splashes of vegetable broth. Mix 1/2 a cup of vegetable broth with a tbsp of cumin and a tbsp of chili powder. Pour this over the cooking chard and add a few handfuls of black beans. I used canned today. Sauté until most moisture is cooked off.
When yams done. Separate some and mash then a bit. Stir mashed yams into chard mixture and cook for a few more minutes. While cooking this, put a splatter screen over the frying pan and plop some corn tacos on. Cover with a lid and steam for 30 seconds a side. Repeat, until all your tortillas are steamed. Every once and a while, stir the mixture underneath to make sure it's not sticking!. Throw the steamed tortillas on the table, scoop the chard mix in a bowl, and mix with the non mashed yams. Set the bowl on the table and you are ready to eat!
Maybe add some sour cream if you desire! Ta da!!
PS: Okay i've had dinner and it was AMAZING!!! The sweetness of the yams just makes the dish! Enjoy!
minus the chilli powder and it sounds delicious! I've always wanted to do one of those produce delivery things...maybe once I'm off work again (after 2 months).
ReplyDeleteyeah the delivery is great, but it's a bit more expensive. those tacos were to die for, i can't wait to make this again!
ReplyDelete