Monday, February 15, 2010

New Skills

My little bread loaf


My very first skein!
Our homemade valentines!



Wow! I made bread! I have been trying to make a decent loaf for a long time now. I've tried making a sourdough starter, using the bread machine (just for mixing and rising) and now I have found something that works!

I got a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." It's really unbelievable and quite fantastic! You make a wet dough and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. Ours only lasted a few days ... i made a loaf a day all weekend!

The other new skill I am trying to master is spinning yarn from roving. I took a drop spindle class on Friday and have made three small skeins of yarn this weekend. I originally wanted to learn so I could make yarn out of newspapers, but have a new use for my homespun yarn. I need some thinner yarn for sewing all my giant granny squares together. I didn't want to use the bulky yarn I am using to make the squares as it was just too thick. I've yet to try out my new yarn, as it's drying and setting.

We have been battling some nasty colds for a few days now, so have been laying low. We did manage a family trip to the museum. The trip ended up being quite fantastic. We noticed that in the gift shop there were several huge, blown up photographs, mounted for display. I guess they were from a past exhibit and no longer needed. We got a small Prince George one and a very very large blow up of a 50's house Western Homes magazine. It now hangs in our hallway away from direct sunlight (as suggested by linda .... thanks!). I will have to take a photo of it soon as it's quite stunning. I plan on doing a whole post of house photos as we are getting things a bit more set up around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...