Monday, September 7, 2009

Labour of Love Weekend


Goats at the Saanich Fair

I spent a lot of time with the family this weekend, well all of it really. Cory went into work for a few hours today. We've been having a few conflicts about how to tackles Jackson's behavioral issues, and everything got sorted out this weekend. As the main caregiver, I treat raising my children as a career, not just any career though. The most important career ever, one that I am insanely passionate about. In my previous career as a hair stylist, I was very organized and methodical at work. I soaked up every bit of education I could get my hands on. It was a fun, relaxing, entertaining career, as long as you stayed on top of everything. My present career of mother is something that is a lot harder for me. I have had trouble in the past coping with the emotional roller coaster that is motherhood. Some of it had to do with my post partum depression, but also to do with my very openly emotional boy.

I read so many books and researched as much as I could before deciding upon new strategies to help our situations. I think I have finally figured out how best to approach Jackson, at least until he changes again. Empathy, really letting him know I understand his frustration and pain. Even if he's breaking a house rule, empathy, repair then rules. It's worked very well and now that Cory is on board things are sailing along smoothly! This was a weekend of firsts and lasts. It was really wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. I love how Jacks hat matches Cory's shirt. ahhh the ups and downs of parenting and co-parenting. You guys are great don't ever forget it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...