This past couple days have just sucked. The heat has been unbearable, and the kids haven’t been sleeping. So yesterday I wrote about the disgusting mosquito larvae I found in the “ocean” of a sandbox. Well today’s find tops it all! Today I was cleaning the diaper pail (we use cloth) and I found four MAGGOTS in the bottom of it!!! EW EW EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We usually wash our diaper every three days, but with Cory being away, and the heat, I just didn’t deal with them in a timely manner.
The diapers were already in the washer on a rinse cycle, so I feared that I’d have a washing machine full of dead white larvae. Usually there are a whole slew of larvae, and since I only found four the rest, I assumed were in the washing machine. I covered the ones I had found in the pail, with bleach and scalded them with hot water. Then I went to town on the pail it’s self. After that I tried to lay down. I wasn’t sure if I could deal with the maggots in the washer, so I planned on getting Cory to deal with it when he arrived home.
I had a hard time resting as visions of maggots swirling in my washing machine, danced in my head. So donned my rubber gloves and opened the washer. I shook out each diaper and cover, but didn’t find a single maggot. I was more than relieved, in fact I was almost happy, well as happy as one can be after finding maggots. So where were the rest of the little larvae? And how did a fly get into our sealed diaper pail that’s only open for 3 seconds at a time?!
I thought back to the events of the past couple days and realized what had happened. At Jack’s daycare they don’t use cloth diaper as most kids are potty trained. Jack’s swim diaper is basically a cloth diaper cover. On Monday I put Jack’s bag of wet swim clothes by the washing machine, but didn’t get around to washing them until the following day. I just shook out the whole bag into the washer and a piece of poop flew into the washer ….. ew! I sguess he went in his swim diaper and the daycare just sent it home with him ….. they pleaded ignorance when I brought it up, hhmm.
Anyways I suspect that a fly got into the wet clothes bag containing the dirty diaper cover and laid eggs. Most of the eggs were on the chunk (sorry I know it’s gross … I still can’t believe it myself!) that I flushed down the toilet. However, maybe a few eggs were on the actual diaper cover, which I tossed in the diaper pail. This is the only explaination I have for why I only found a few larvae in the pail. It’s so gross and I am horrified! But it’s all over with and I lived to tell the tale!
After I got over my shock, I did some googling on the subjects and found that other people have had this problem, way worse too! So lesson learned ….. unpack and wash your kids clothes ASAP and don’t leave your diaper pail unwashed longer than normal, especially during a heat wave! Sorry for such a gross story, but I just had to share!
Isn't jackson almost 3 by now? I thought that 2 was when you potty trained isnt that why they are called the terrible twos?
ReplyDeletewell usually you can start potty training at 2. we did, but since D was born we've been neglecting the potty. i think the terrible twos is more about the tantrums, but everyone's terrible twos are different i am sure.
ReplyDelete