I decided to try crochet smocking. I didn't think to google it first, so not sure if i got it right. I do, however, love the way this hat turned out! I'm going to share the pattern with you today! A little Valentine's gift for you!
close up of smocking
Valentine's Hat with Smocking
ch 15
row 1: 1 dc in fourth ch from hook. dc in each ch. Turn work. First three ch's count as a stitch. (13 dc)
row 2: ch 3, front raised double (FRDC) in each of the previous sts. Turn work
Continue repeating row 2 until you get to 60 rows.
Slip stitch the ends of the band together. Where your hook ends is where you will continue the hat up.
Row 1: ch 2, work 63 hdc evenly around top of band. sl st to beginning ch. (ch2 at beginning counts as 1 hdc) (64 hdc) turn work.
Row 2 -6: Work evenly, turning after each row.
Row 7: ch 2, hdc 5 times then dec over the next two sts. *hdc 6 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (56 hdc) turn work.
Row 8: ch 2, hdc 4 times then dec over the next two sts. *hdc 5 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (48 hdc) turn work.
Row 9: ch 2, hdc 3 times then dec over the next two sts. *hdc 4 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (48 hdc) turn work.
Row 10: ch 2, hdc 2 times then dec over the next two sts. *hdc 3 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (40 hdc) turn work.
Row 11: ch 2, hdc 1 times then dec over the next two sts. *hdc 2 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (32 hdc) turn work.
Row 12: ch 2, dec over the next two sts. *hdc 1 times, then dec over the next 2 sts* repeat from * until you reach the end of row, sl st to beginning ch. (24 hdc) turn work. tie off leaving a long tail
Weave around each stitch from previous row and pull tight, then tie off and weave in ends.
before tying top and before smocking so you can clearly see the ridges.
To make smocking:
With a tapestry needle and a long piece of yarn, whip stitch around two ridges that are side by side. Continue tying ridges together by twos around the brim of hat. For this first row or gathers i sewed three DC up from the bottom of brim.
Now just below the middle of the ridges whip stitch the opposite ridges together, so it pulls then apart from the previous row.
For the last row group the same ridges together as you did in the first row. I placed this row two DC before the end of the brim.
Happy crochetting!! It's not really a pattern but a tutorial. I am sure there are mistakes as I'm doing this while my kids are in the bath! Please let me know if you find any mistakes and I'll correct asap!
Thanks!
Happy Valentine's Day!!




The hat turned out very well -- you worked on it so diligently on Sunday. How many hours did it take you to make? Linda
ReplyDeleteThanks! Th brim is a little tighter than i thought i would be, so i added on a few more for the tutorial! I really don't know how long it took me. I usually only do about 15 minutes here and there!
ReplyDelete