Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Mason Jar Cozies



I did a little crochet work this week.  I've been doing a lot of work for my etsy shop(though haven't listed a thing yet!) and wanted to take a break.  During the day these pretty, simple cozies pretty up a plain jar to be filled with random things laying around the house.



At night they can be transformed into lovely tealight holders.  they glow nicely and make a pretty pattern on the wall!  I just love these new additions to out little home!  A cozy treat for a cold, winter's night!

I used three different stitches, one for each jar.  Here are the tutorials for them all:



Spider Stitch:

ch 29, attach last ch to first one without twisting.
Rnd 1: ch 1 skip first ch, *(1 sc, 1 ch, 1 sc) in next st, sk i ch* Repeat to end of rnd, slst to beginning of rnd, ch1 and turn
Rnd 2:skip first sc,  *(1sc, 1ch, 1sc) in first ch spacing from previous rnd, skip to next ch spacing and continue around from * slst to beginning of rnd, ch 1, turn work.
Repeat until it's tall enough for your jar!



Woven Stitch:

ch 30, attach last ch to first ch without twisting.
Rnd 1: ch 1, *sc in the first st, ch 1, sk 1 ch. Repeat from * to end of rnd, slst to beginning of rnd. ch1, turn.
Rnd 2: 1sc in first ch spacing from previous rnd, ch 1, sk sc from previous rnd, *1 sc in next ch spacing, ch 1, sk next sc.  Repeat from * to end of rnd.  slst to beginning of rnd. ch1 and turn work.
Repeat rnd 2 until piece is as tall as your jar!

Twists DC Stitch:

ch 30, attach last ch to first without twisting.
Rnd 1: ch 1, 1 sc in each st around.  stsl to first st in rnd.  ch 3, turn work.
Rnd 2: sk first st, 1 dc in next st.  Go back to the st you skipped and do 1 dc in that st. *sk 1 st, 1 dc in next st, go back to skipped st and 1 dc in it.  Repeat from * to end of rnd.  You may have just 1 un crossed dc at the end ... i can't remember! slst to first st n rnd. ch 1 and turn work.
Rnd 3: 1 sc in each st from previous rnd. ch 3, turn work.
Repeat rnds 2 and 3 until your piece is as tall as your jar!

7 comments:

  1. OMG I have been wanting to crochet a cozie for my plant at work but these mason jars with the tealights...AMAZING!!
    Thank you so, so much for posting the stitches too. I am absolutely going to do this and will be sure to let you know about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um WOW. Thank you for posting this- i'm currently undergoing the decoration of my room and I want to make it look cosy, sweet and retro, but I don't want to spend lots of money on so I thought I'd make most of the bedrom accessories myself and you've just given me a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! I love these stitches. thanks for sharing patterns!

    I am popping by from the lino cut tutorial on pamplemousse. The little truck under the moonlight is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes jamie! let me know when you've done the plant cozy! i might be doing another post about cozies in a while and can include yours!

    thanks nesha! the mason jar cozies are a great and inexpensive way to chang up your decor! i might make some bright hones for summer and bring them outdoors!

    Thanks moe, glad you came over for a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really cool cozies -- so pretty in the dark with tea candles. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these last night!! They will be posted tomorrow morning if you wanna take a peek =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh! exciting! i can't wait to see them!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...