Jack has been drawing a lot these days and I've been doing a lot of drawing and carving of lino. I just love the way carving feels and of course love that i can make a million prints of things! Jack decided that he wanted to turn one of his drawings into a carving, so we set to work! First he had to learn how to hold the blade and lino properly .... no fingers in the way! This was the most nerve wracking part for me, but I tried not to let on. Then the ink rolling and print pulling began! It's been a factory of sorts around here! Dylan had been very interested, but e just usually sticks his fingers in the ink and makes his own little art pieces.
I have also been asked to do a guest post on a fantastic blog that i follow. It's called Pamplemousse! Check it out! I'll be doing a tutorial on the carving and printing process of lino. I might even use these photos, as it's a bit tricky to take photos of myself doing it!
the carving .... perfect technique!
rolling the ink on
and the print!!!
I am thinking of selling a set of these as blank greeting cards in my etsy shop soon. With all proceeds gong to a charity of Jack's choice!
Styrofoam works well for little fingers. the base of meat tray styrofoam. Linda
ReplyDeleteooh yes! we did a bit of that last year, it was fantastic! We just used pencils at that time and it worked very well! i am loving how into art jack is!
ReplyDeleteYou are so fantastic Tanya. Your blog spot looks great!
ReplyDeleteIs lino expensive? That print that Jack did is so cool. He is a little crafter, just like you :)
I love his print Tanya! And I ALSO would have been very nervous about the knife usage.... He looks like he is listening very well, and very focused! I agree you should make cards with his prints :)
ReplyDeletethanks~ i'll pass on your love of Jack's work to him! I think a piece of speedy cut lino ( like the stuff jack used) is about $5 for that size. It's roughly 4" x 5". I have to get more as we are out, so i'll have a better idea of the cost next week. You can buy less expensive types of lino for carving. I just prefer this kind as it is very smooth and soft, so it's easy to cut!
ReplyDeleteamber: yes he really was listening and concentrating. I find when he is using a tool or medium that I use, he respects it more than cheaper "kid" stuff.