Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Packaging

I have been a bit disturbed by our amount of recycling these past few months. It used to be that I was proud of all that we recycled, it was now going to a new home instead of in the landfill. But now I realize that we seem to consume an awful lot items that have an terrible amount of packaging.

The majority of our packaging comes from milk jugs, cereal and cracker boxes. I am guilty of consuming a great deal of milk and I have been trying to cut down, if not eliminate completely. This is going to take some time .... i'm really not into milk alternatives like soy or rice milk. Crackers on the other hand i can change right away.

Today Jackson and I made Cheddar Rosemary Crackers and they are better than anything you could buy! I need to find one or two more cracker recipes for a good variety, but all in all we seem to be heading in the right direction. The big push to have homemade crackers is that I'll know exactly what is going in them. We'll see if I can keep up with making crackers every week! Sometimes we go through an awful lot of crackers!

Okay my computer is acting up and this is coming to a close, so there you go, home made crackers and hopefully less milk for this little family!

5 comments:

  1. It's funny - in one of my business classes last night, we were discussing packaging from a business perspective (cutting costs, etc..). One of the most astounding things I learned is that 1/3 of all materials that end up in our recycling or garbage are from packaging. I suppose if the packages are paper products, then it's not as bad because we have the infrastructure in place to recycle those efficiently. But the other stuff - especially plastics - is a whole other story! Yikes! Good for you for trying something 'out of the box' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! next we are going to try our hand at making our own pasta ...... i've done it once before the kids were born and it's fairly easy and ten times better than any store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that is part of the reason for the bulk sections in stores. The Market on Yates sells a package of plastic net bags (the package being one of them) to reuse for veges and fruits instead of using the plastic bags provided. Quite often I don't use the plastic bags anymore. Just throw the bare items into my shopping basket. Don't burn yourself out trying to make everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i have a set of those bags! though i sometimes forget them! when i do i usually just throw the fruit straight into a shopping bag, then dump it out at the till. i'm taking it pretty easy. jack plays with play dough, makes interesting concoctions or helps out when i make things, and i only take on projects when D is sleeping and J is in a good mood and willing to help out or play independently along side me in the kitchen! I try to only make one thing a day whether it be a craft project or a food project, to avoid burning out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently tried almond milk and it is pretty good on cereal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...