
I have been giving our house a lot of thought. I decided that the play kitchen (in our kitchen) had to be relocated.... or possibly even removed. In it's place I have painted two large squares of dark blue chalkboard paint. I used a recipe from Ms. Stewart to make custom chalkboard paint colors. You basically mix in a bit of unsanded grout, paint and then sand lightly afterwards. This whole process was a bit harder than I thought.

The grout mixed into the paint made it very thick, so thick that it just globbed on the roller and didn't turn very well. Eventually I get the hang of it and got the wall painted. After it dried there were some patchy spots, so I went over the whole thing with a sponge brush and it looks much better.
I am so excited for it to dry! The top part is for Cory and I to write notes, and little phrases Jackson has said. The bottom half will be for Jack and soon Dylan to draw on. Currently there is a chalkboard in Jack's room, but the chalk gets all over the carpet and he rarely uses it. I am going to make a little eraser attached to a string and a little box or shelf for the chalk, so everything hopefully stays in one spot.
My other task today is sorting through the massive collections of playmobil and lego that Cory brought home from his dad's. The amount he has is insane!!

Melissa and Doug have dustless chalk and I think you can buy it at Teachers Corner...it really is dustless and a life saver for inside chalkboards.
ReplyDeleteYou're supermom.
YIKES!! All that lego and playmobile that I picked up over and over and over--that I watched get sucked up in vacuum cleaners-- all that lego! In the photo of the open suitcase [my old suitcase xmas 1974] the lego looks exactly as it did! Cory got the castle in 1986.
ReplyDeletedustless chalk .. awesome, thanks! i think i'm far from supermom though! the lego is INSANE!! I don't mind the playmobil now that the castle is set up, but i have most of the lego in it's suitcase (it seems we have a lot of your old suitcases!) that is in the garage now. There is a small bucket of lego, as i don't want to keep cleaning up that MASSIVE pile!
ReplyDelete